varropdx: (Shut the ##%$% up)
First off, I'm at work only because I'm waiting for a client who's bringing in money - I would have been home 2 hours ago otherwise.

The hearing I had for one of my clients went well - the U.S. Trustee isn't going to challenge the bankruptcy, although it's going to be an asset case (trustee will take client's tax refunds this year to pay creditors) instead of a no-asset case. Not much of a loss, although my goal is to make every Chapter 7 a no-asset case.

Anyway, I was listening to the radio this morning and I heard Oasis's "Wonderwall" in a flashback to 1995 on 94/7 (formerly KNRK - well, their call letters are still KNRK, but they only use them on FCC-mandated station IDs). Which brings up this question:

What do you call grunge and mid-90s alternative rock to distinguish it from more modern music?

"Oldies" and "Classic Rock" are not really flexible categories - they define a style of music instead of a time period. "Modern Rock", which is the formal format name, is kind of a misnomer - when we have our 50th high school reunions and listen to the Nirvanas and the Becks, it can't really be called "Modern", right?

I propose - Alt-Classic. It would consist of college rock from the 80s, radio-friendly grunge and alternative from the mid-90s, and the melodic power-pop that has been popular since the late 90s. (It wouldn't include nu metal and harder rock that was popular in the late 90s and early oughts, however.)

But it's also a sign that you're getting old when (for me), a late-Miami or post-Miami song is considered a trip to the past.


varropdx: (Default)

April 2017



RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2017 12:56 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios